Chilblains may be referred to as the particular condition wherein the skin is affected with reddish and painful swellings usually on the ears, toes and fingers. This problem can be seen on the nose, ear lobes, lower legs, heels and the thighs that usually become cold due to winters. These localized painful sensations are caused because of poor circulation especially to peripheries. Overcrowding of the capillaries in the lower layers of the skin is also responsible for this problem. The condition can become complicated due to cold weather, unhealthy diet, sedentary occupation or the tight shoes etc. Expansion of blood vessels due to skin warming is also behind Chilblains.
Home Remedies – Many traditional medications are available. The following home remedies treat Chilblains in naturally:
- Black Peppercorn – Massaging sesame oil by frying black peppercorn in it is much advantageous.
- Celery – Best results can be obtained by soaking the affected skin in hot water by cooking some celery stalks in it.
- Cayenne Powder – Irregular flow of blood that is often responsible for Chilblains can be set aright with this powder. Spreading it over the swollen skin areas gives wonderful results.
- Garlic Juice – This herbal remedy also works wonders.
- Egg White Mixture – Make a paste by mixing egg white, honey, flour and glycerin. This may be applied to the skin affected with Chilblains to get rid of this menace.
- Herbal Oils – Take rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus or mustard oil and massage the same to the body parts affected with Chilblains to have sufficient relief.
- Horseradish Root – It may be tied to the affected skin and left for some time. Sufficient relief can be gained with this method.
- Lemon Juice – Rubbing lemon juice on the toes or fingers gives excellent results.
- Turnip – Soaking the affected areas in boiled water by mixing finely chopped turnips give much relief. Rubbing these slices on the affected parts of the skin is also much useful.
- Onion Juice – Apply the juice by rushing some onions. You will have much relief from Chilblains and its ill effects.
- Potato – Rubbing potato slices on the affected skin by sprinkling some salt onto them is much helpful to soothe affected skin.
Massaging with lavender, peppermint or garlic oil is also much helpful for the patients. They can make use of nettle juice or tincture of myrrh to have sufficient relief. Persons suffering from Chilblains are advised to take the following steps too:
- Fiber rich diets and those containing fatty acids are good for this disorder. Vitamins and minerals are also advised for the patients.
- Exercising is helpful to improve circulation of blood that is a must for the sufferers. Bicycling, jogging, brisk walks and yoga asana etc help to enhance blood flow to the extremities.
- Those in the habit of smoking must quit it as nicotine causes constriction of blood vessels.
- Staying warm, particularly in the winter season is useful. Protect your feet, nose, arms, fingers and other such parts from cold.
- Tight-fitting shoes should be avoided as they create hurdles for flow of blood that aggravates the problem.